About Me

My photo
Satsuma Sword Collector

Friday, August 23, 2013

Wilkinson 1895 Pattern Infantry Sword 32227 to HS Pennell Proved July 1893

The Regiment on the eve of Dargai. Pennell is the 5th officer from the left, front row.
Intials of H[enry]S[ingleton]P[ennell]
Sword Number on spine of the blade 32227
It is with great satisfaction, and indeed, I consider it an honour to have been able to acquire the sword of Captain Henry Pennell VC.In my 20 years of collecting I have seen several VC's go for sale but never a sword to a Victoria Cross winner. I would like to think that most swords are held with the decendants of the VC holder or else in the the former's Regimental Musuems. To protect the privacy of the recent owner, I shall only say that this sword was acquired completely unresearched until I ordered the Wilkinson sword records confirming Pennell's orginal order. Witness my joy and astonishment at acquirimg this sword unexpectedly. I am not one to display my feelings on these blog pages, but I think its understandable on this occasion and beg your indulgence. This sword was an orginally 1892 pattern sword made by Wilkinsons in July 1893 for HENRY SINGLETON PENNELL Sherwood Foresters (with orginal gilt guard) but in sometime in 1895/6 Pennell had the sword returned to Wilkinsons and had the new 1895 Pattern Guard done which one will see on close examination that the tang nut changed along with the backstrap. The intials of HSP are present on the sword. The sword was sharpened for active service where it proved useful for his spirited action up in the Dargai Hills where he gained his unique distinction. Wilkinson Proof Page 13 July 1893